corinnemartin

Optimistic and constructive books

I share optimistic & constructive books from writers committed to excellence in litterature. My favorites books leave me with a sense of lightness and freedom in my heart. "To love is to act" (Victor Hugo)

The old man and the sea

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

This is the book of a friendship between a man and a boy, the book of the courage and the battle where the hope survive amongst the deepest misery. The language is mainly sustained by the action but Hemingway share as well the fisher's intimate thoughts, his internal conflicts for his 'friend' fish. This fisher has evolved on his way back home, he is not sensitive anymore to the 'social mirror' from the other fishermen, he is not anymore looking for showing his capacity to fish to others. This trip has pushed him forward.

In ‘A farewell to the arms’, I found Hemingway is great at creating long-lasting images through his simple but effective choice of words, but a lot of the emotions were sticky and repetitive. But, in ‘the Old man and Sea’, he has really done a superb task of economy with words, yet embarking upon a very powerful theme that shows what may be considered as defeat by others is actually a victory. For a while I stopped reading his works, because of his obsession with death and love, in books like ‘The sun also rises’ and ‘A movable feast’, but then I was surprised how he kept me under spell in ‘The old man and the sea’, which is written in one continuous narrative.